Saturday, December 24, 2011

Crossfit - Before Day 1


  • Crossfit: All the things you hated in gym class
  • You'll pass out before you die
  • Building superior athletes one Hellish workout at a time
  • Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general
In October I was in DC and ran into a fellow I have known for years. Being active military he was always in decent shape but now the person standing in front of me was in remarkable condition.

When I asked him what workout he does he told me about Crossfit. I knew a little about it as CF people were involved in the design of the Army's new "PRT" fitness program.  My first exposure to PRT was in August at Ft Knox. Some of the exercises were bizarre (skipping in particular drew laughs) but left me sore and feeling like I had done a great workout.

Soon after that weekend my friend came to Lancaster and won a weekend competition. This picture inspired me to give it a try (and made a few female coworkers drool).


I knew I was in less than optimal shape and rarely did formal workouts. I am still able to pass the Army PT test with little to no prep and that had, sadly. become my fitness benchmark. I felt fat, sluggish and at times like the aging process has really started to get a hold on me.  In another example of rationalization I rested on the areas that I know I am above the baseline: the ability to hike, ruck march even with heavy loads and in general keep a never quit attitude.

I made my decision to start this with a Black Friday workout at Crossfit York. I went with a great friend who had also been inspired by our Crossfit King friend and who had joined York.  My positive attitude was quickly squelched when the owners showed up a few minutes before the class start time. There were numerous visitors with out of town license plates (presumably in town visiting for Thanksgiving?).  I immediately got the feeling that if I went in as the only first timer I would either hold things up (paperwork and having never done the sometimes very unique CF exercises) or have to join the class late. I hate being in that situation and decided to skip it.


The Crossfit York "box"

Sitting in my friend's car on a beautiful sunny day, and listening to the sounds of the intense workout inside, was one of the low points of my adult life. I felt like a fat slug. These feelings were made worse when an ancient lady in a track suit came walking by (albeit verrry slowly) on her exercise route.

I became angry. Very angry. And I vowed that I would get started and make fitness a part of my life.  Not just fitness as in avoiding foods that are known to be bad and exercising here and there but fitness in an organized manner. And I would use Crossfit as that vehicle.

No comments:

Post a Comment