Saturday, December 24, 2011

Crossfit - It Begins


  • Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you
  • There's fit, then there's Crossfit
  • I Crossfit because I used to look like you


Corps Fitness is the Reading Crossfit affiliate and is only about 15 minutes from my house. The owner is a former Marine who now is confined to a wheelchair as a result of an illness.

My first workout was on a day that the calendar listed as "all abilities".  Corps Fitness has a military theme about it that greatly appeals to me.  I was super stoked to get started.

Owner Chris introduced me to a group that seemed to be pretty experienced and mostly know each other. 

Headed outside, I soon found myself in an intense WARMUP. This wasnt just an all abilities class but the Week 4 COMPETITION WOD. Lunges and running soon had destroyed my quads and on the final run (coming in dead last) I took a step down and found I had absolutely no leg left. I crashed to the macadam in front of everyone - envision a baby killer whale flopping to the ground.  Remember, this was the warmup.

The Workout of the Day (WOD) was fun and intense and to be honest it is now a blur. I made it through, with the help of my two female teammates. Leaving the box I drove a few hundred meters before violently puking for 5 minutes. This left me stable enough to make it to a mini market for a quart of Peach Snapple and one of Gatorade.

Work that night was a little rough. Getting in and out of chairs and doing the 5+ miles of walking I do ever shift really, really, sucked. :p

But, I loved knowing I survived and was instantly hooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment