Sunday, February 26, 2012

Body Armor for Murph WOD


The Murph WOD is on my mind. I know it will be really hard and I need to figure out how to scale the pullups. I WILL do it. Plain and simple. And as I have said, it will be done in body armor.

Secured that BA this weekend at a local gun show. Went there just for a flak jacket and found one for $50. Larry's Surplus and owner Larry came north from Fayetteville, NC.

Took it to work and tried jumping rope, pushups and squats in BA. I think it will ride pretty well.

Today I came across this by John Michael Bric:


The workout that was named after Lt Murphy used to be his favourite, and back then, he’d given it the nickname ‘Body Armor’.
I remember it was only the second CrossFit class I had ever been to when I did Murph, and at the time I had no idea why everyone inside the box was so worried about the WOD.
It was only when I looked at the whiteboard and saw exactly what we had to do, that I realised i was in for a killer:
For time:
1 mile Run
100 Pull-ups
200 Push-ups
300 Squats
1 mile Run
Now, being new to the CrossFit world, I didn’t really have an idea of how many pull up’s it would take before my hands started to fatigue, but I soon found out the hard way.
I was probably up to my 40th rep when my left hand ripped in two places. Blood immediately covered my palm, and it was about 20 reps later when my right hand ripped as well. I can still remember wincing in pain as I jumped up for those final pull ups.
But just when I thought the worst was over, I found out that 200 push ups is a lot harder than first imagined. I was up to about 110, when my body literally gave way and I was forced to do one rep every 20 seconds.
When I finally picked my body up to begin the squats, I was completely exhausted, fatigued in every way and could barely stand up straight. At the end of the 300 squats I could barley walk straight either.
Now, trying to run the first few hundred meters of that final leg would have to be the hardest moment in my CrossFit career. Not only did I have blurred vision from exhaustion, but I also had that much lactic acid in my legs that I actually COULDN’T run normally. All I can remember is forcing myself not to walk, and trying my hardest to keep some sort of pace that would get me to the end.
Eventually, the end came and I stumbled back into the gym feeling like a truck had hit me.
As proud as I was to finish the WOD, it’s fair to say I was a bit embarrassed with my time. The 1 hour and 23 minutes was so long, the next class had already begun, with most people running past me in their first leg.
Since then, my time has improved drastically and I’m now getting times just under the 50 minute mark.
For beginners, just completing Murph Rx’d is a fantastic achievement. For those who have been training for a while, then anything around 50 minutes is pretty good. For experts, however, most should be aiming to break the 30 minute barrier.
Breaking it down, most people aim to break 10 minutes on each exercise. For example, less than ten minutes on completing 200 push ups, and less than ten minutes completing the final mile run.
Now, something not everyone knows about Murph is that the workout is actually supposed to be done with a 20 pound weight vest. If you’ve got one in your gym, then give it a go, but doing it without one is still hard enough.



No comments:

Post a Comment