Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell


Anyone who has read these posts can quickly see my interest in the Operation Red Wing story and the tie-in between Michael Murphy and Crossfit.

I thought I knew the story fairly well. I was wrong.

This is one of the best books I have ever read.  It exceeded every recommendation every past reader has ever told me.  It caused me to cry more times than once.

Marcus Luttrell's telling of the now-famous battle in 2005 is superbly done (with the help of a talented co-writer).  His SEAL team exhibited more courage and sacrifice than any human could ever be expected to endure.  You have no heart if you do not tear-up as he describes the severity of his teammates wounds - even while they keep driving on with the mission and fighting a very aggressive enemy. Or the pain and suffering he went through in his desperate attempt to return alive to friendly forces.

I can not recommend this book enough. Every American should read it.  It will give you insight into the courage of our armed forces, the faith of the SEALs who fought and died on that mountain and the sheer hatred that our enemies harbor for us.

It's been out awhile now so you paperback copies are plentiful. Buy it. Read it. There is no way you will finish it without being thankful for more things than you were when you opened it.


I finished this book on a flight back to Baltimore and exited the aircraft making a personal vow to myself that I would improve my life, actions and fitness as a tribute to all of the brave men who died on that day in June 2005. How could I not?

No comments:

Post a Comment